Deakins Mill is a 30 acre 19th Century spinning and weaving mill complex that was owned by the Ashworth family until 1959 when textile work finally came to an end in the area. The buildings then had various industrial uses, gradually falling into disrepair until bought by their current owner.
Garnett Netherwood has been working on the redevelopment of the mill complex since 2001 completing the fourth phase in 2006. The 19th century buildings have been a new lease of life as high specification office units.
As well as the general cleaning up and making good of the original stonework, roof trusses have been sandblasted and skylights added. The latest phase involved the addition of a further floor to one of the buildings. The modern addition is clad in larch which will weather down to a silvery grey over time, complimenting the newly cleaned stonework below. Thermally broken double glazed windows were sourced to respect the 19th century facades whilst delivering the required thermal performance.